ANNOUNCE (_third-person singular simple present_ ANNOUNCES, _present participle_ ANNOUNCING, _simple past and past participle_ ANNOUNCED)
* (transitive) To give public notice, or first notice of; to make known; to publish; to proclaim.
* (Can we date this quote?) William Gilpin (1724-1804)
Her [Queen Elizabeth’s] arrival was ANNOUNCED through the country by a peal of cannon from the ramparts.
* (transitive) To pronounce; to declare by judicial sentence.
* Matthew Prior (1664-1721)
Publish laws, ANNOUNCE / Or life or death.
* proclaim, publish, make known, herald, declare, promulgate