English - Pronunciation
English - Adjective
- Tasting of salt.
- Containing salt.
- (figuratively) Coarse, provocative, earthy; said of language.
- (figuratively) Experienced, especially used to indicate a veteran of the naval services; salty dog (from salt of the sea).
(US slang) Irritated, annoyed;
from sharp, spicy flavor of salt.
- 1946, Mezz Mezzrow and Bernard Wolfe, Really the Blues, Payback Press 1999, page 61:
- 1969, Iceberg Slim, Pimp: The Story of My Life, Holloway House Publishing, page 162:
- (linguistics) Pertaining to those dialects of Catalan, spoken in the Balearic Islands and along the coast of Catalonia, that use definitive articles descended from the Latin ipse (“self”) instead of the Latin ille (“that”).