English - Pronunciation
- IPA(key): /ˈʃɹɪŋk/
- Rhymes: -ɪŋk
English - Etymology
English - Verb
- (transitive) To cause to become smaller.
- (intransitive) To become smaller; to contract.
- (intransitive) To cower or flinch.
- (transitive) To draw back; to withdraw.
- (intransitive, figuratively) To withdraw or retire, as from danger.
- (to cause to become smaller): expand, grow, enlarge, stretch
- (become smaller): expand, grow, enlarge, stretch
English - Noun
- shrinkage; contraction; recoil
- (slang, sometimes pejorative) A psychiatrist or therapist; a head-shrinker.
- The slang sense was originally pejorative, expressing a distrust of practitioners in the field. It is now not as belittling or trivializing.