English - Etymology
English - Noun
- The act of pulling back or withdrawing, as from something dangerous, or unpleasant.
- The act of reversing direction and receding from a forward position.
- A peaceful, quiet place affording privacy or security.
- A period of retirement, seclusion, or solitude.
- A period of meditation, prayer or study.
- Withdrawal by military force from a dangerous position or from enemy attack.
- A signal for a military withdrawal.
- A bugle call or drumbeat signaling the lowering of the flag at sunset, as on a military base.
- A military ceremony to lower the flag.
- (chess) The move of a piece from a threatened position.