English - Etymology
From Middle English bilden, from Old English byldan (“to build, construct”), from Proto-Germanic *buldijaną, *budlijaną (“to build”), from Proto-Germanic *budlą, *buþlą, *bōdlą, *bōþlą (“house, dwelling, farm”), from Proto-Indo-European *bhōw- (“to swell, grow, thrive, be, live, dwell”). Related to Old English bold (“abode, house, dwelling-place, mansion, hall, castle, temple”). More at bottle.
English - Pronunciation
English - Verb
- (transitive) To form (something) by combining materials or parts.
- (transitive) To develop or give form to (something) according to a plan or process.
- (transitive) To increase or strengthen (something) by adding gradually to.
- (transitive) To establish a basis for (something).
- (intransitive) To form by combining materials or parts.
- (intransitive) To develop in magnitude or extent.
- (transitive, computing) To construct (software) by compiling its source code.
- (intransitive, computing, of software) To be constructed by compilation of source code, usually with minimal human intervention.
- The simple past tense and past participle used to be builded; however, that form is now archaic, having been superseded by the form built.
- (to form by combining materials or parts): construct, erect
- (to develop or give form to according to a plan or process): create
- (to increase or strengthen by adding gradually to): build up, enlarge, increase, strengthen
- (to establish a basis for): base, found, ground
- (to form by combining materials or parts): demolish, destroy, ruin, wreck
- (to increase or strengthen by adding gradually to): decrease, dissipate, weaken
English - Noun
- The physique of a human body; constitution or structure of a human body.
- (computing) any of various versions of a software product as it is being developed for release to users
- (Internet slang) a structure, nominally an abbreviation of building (see usage notes below).
- As internet slang, although the word is nominally an abbreviation of "building", the slang term can refer to any structure or formation created by the player e.g. a statue, a pool, or even a forest.