English - Pronunciation
- IPA(key): /ˈðɛmsɛlf, ðɛmˈsɛlf/
- Rhymes: -ɛmsɛlf, -ɛlf
English - Pronoun
- The reflexive case of they, the third-person singular personal pronoun. The single person previously mentioned, as the object of a verb or following a preposition (also used for emphasis).
- The use of themself instead of themselves is sometimes proscribed, but it is relatively common "considering that singular they is unquestionably far less frequent than plural they". Furthermore, the use of themself as a singular and themselves as a plural is in "clear parallel [to] common usage of the second-person forms, where yourselves can be contrasted with yourself."
- For more on the use of they as a singular pronoun, see they.
- For information on the use of he and himself as a generic singular pronoun, see he.