English - Alternative Forms
English - Etymology
English - Pronunciation
- IPA(key): /əˈmʌŋ/
- Hyphenation: a‧mong
- Rhymes: -ʌŋ
English - Preposition
- Denotes a mingling or intermixing with distinct or separable objects. (See Usage Note at amidst)
- Denotes a belonging of a person or a thing to a group.
Denotes a sharing of a common feature in a group.
- 1611, Bible (Authorized, or King James, Version), Luke 1:1
- For the comparison of among with between, see the usage notes in between.
- Due to a belief that "amongst" is an archaic/Commonwealth variant, many Americans use "among" exclusively.