English - Etymology
function + -al
English - Adjective
- In good working order.
- Useful; serving a purpose, fulfilling a function
- Only for functional purposes, notably in architecture
- (computing theory) Having semantics defined purely in terms of mathematical functions, without side-effects.
- (medicine) Of a disease, such that its symptoms cannot be referred to any appreciable lesion or change of structure; opposed to organic disease, in which the organ itself is affected.
English - Noun
- (mathematics) A function that takes a function as its argument; More precisely: A function y=f(x) whose argument x varies in a space of (real valued, complex valued) functions and whose value belongs to a monodimensional space. An example: the definite integration of integrable real functions in a real interval.
- (mathematics, functional analysis) A scalar-valued linear function on a vector space
- (computing) An object encapsulating a function pointer (or equivalent).