OVERSHOOT (_plural_ OVERSHOOTS)
* (uncountable) The amount by which something goes too far.
_Let's see if we can predict and correct for the OVERSHOOT._
* (countable, ecology) When the population of a species exceeds its environment's carrying capacity.
OVERSHOOT (_third-person singular simple present_ OVERSHOOTS, _present participle_ OVERSHOOTING, _simple past and past participle_ OVERSHOT)
* To go past something; to go too far.
_When you drive, you must remember to not OVERSHOOT the parking space and end up with two wheels over the line._
* To shoot beyond; to shoot too far to hit something.
not to OVERSHOOT his game
* To pass swiftly over; to fly beyond.
(Can we find and add a quotation of Hartle to this entry?)
* (figuratively) To exceed.
_to OVERSHOOT the truth_
(Can we find and add a quotation of Cowper to this entry?)