English - Etymology
un- + certain
English - Pronunciation
- IPA(key): /ʌnˈsɜːtən/
- Rhymes: -ɜː(r)tən
English - Adjective
- Not certain; unsure.
- Not known for certain; questionable.
- Not yet determined; undecided.
- Variable and subject to change.
Fitful or unsteady.
1914, Louis Joseph Vance, Nobody, chapter III:
- Turning back, then, toward the basement staircase, she began to grope her way through blinding darkness, but had taken only a few uncertain steps when, of a sudden, she stopped short and for a little stood like a stricken thing, quite motionless save that she quaked to her very marrow in the grasp of a great and enervating fear.
- 1914, Louis Joseph Vance, Nobody, chapter III:
- Unpredictable or capricious.