English - Pronunciation
- Homophone: sinical
English - Adjective
- Of or relating to the belief that human actions are motivated only or primarily by base desires or selfishness.
- Skeptical of the integrity, sincerity, or motives of others.
- Bitterly or jadedly distrustful or contemptuous; mocking.
Showing contempt for accepted moral standards by one's actions.
1907, Robert W. Chambers, chapter X, The Younger Set:
- When he, at Neergard's cynical suggestion, had consented to exploit his own club […] and had consented to resign from it to do so, he had every reason to believe that Neergard meant to either mulct them heavily or buy them out. In either case, having been useful to Neergard, his profits from the transaction would have been considerable.
- 1907, Robert W. Chambers, chapter X, The Younger Set:
- (medicine, rare) Like the actions of a snarling dog.