English - Pronunciation
- IPA(key): /ˈæli/
- Rhymes: -æli
English - Etymology 1
- A narrow street or passageway, especially one through the middle of a block giving access to the rear of lots or buildings.
- (baseball) The area between the outfielders, the gap.
- (bowling) An establishment where bowling is played; bowling alley.
- (tennis) The extra area between the sidelines or tramlines on a tennis court that is used for doubles matches.
- A walk or passage in a garden or park, bordered by rows of trees or bushes.
- A passageway between rows of pews in a church.
- (perspective drawing) Any passage having the entrance represented as wider than the exit, so as to give the appearance of length.
- The space between two rows of compositors' stands in a printing office.