English - Etymology
English - Pronunciation
English - Noun
- (uncountable) The process of developing; growth, directed change.
(uncountable, biology) The process by which a mature multicellular organism or part of an organism is produced by the addition of new cells.
- 1992, Rudolf M. Schuster, The Hepaticae and Anthocerotae of North America: East of the Hundredth Meridian, volume V, page 5
- (countable) Something which has developed.
- (real estate, countable) A project consisting of one or more commercial or residential buildings, real estate development.
- (real estate, uncountable) The building of a real estate development.
- (uncountable) The application of new ideas to practical problems (cf. research).
- (chess, uncountable) The active placement of the pieces, or the process of achieving it.
- (music) The second section of a piece of music in sonata form.