English - Etymology
English - Proper Noun
A female given name.
- 1899 Paul Leicester Ford: Janice Meredith: Chapter 1:
1999 Peter McPhee: Runner: ISBN 1550286749 page 37,38:
- "Now class," she said, "my name is Mrs. Chubbie. I know how most of you would like to pronounce it, but the correct pronunciation is Mrs. Shew-bay." - - -
- "It's Jan-eece," the goth-girl says.
- "Pardon me?" Mrs Shew-bay asks very properly.
- "My name is pronounced Jan-eece. Not Janice." The whole class tries to stop from laughing out loud at this. - - - "I've changed since last year. Janice is the name of some average, boring student. Do I look average to you?"