English - Etymology 1
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /ˈtaʊ.ə(ɹ)/
- (General American) IPA(key): /ˈtaʊ.ɚ/
- Rhymes: -aʊ.ə(ɹ), -aʊə(ɹ)
- A structure, usually taller than it is wide, often used as a lookout, usually unsupported by guy-wires.
- (figuratively) Any item, such as a computer case, that is usually higher than it is wide.
- (informal) An interlocking tower.
- (figuratively) A strong refuge; a defence.
- (historical) A tall fashionable headdress.
- (obsolete) High flight; elevation.
- The sixteenth trump or Major Arcana card in many Tarot decks, deemed an ill omen.
- (intransitive) To be very tall.
- (intransitive) To be high or lofty; to soar.
- (obsolete, transitive) To soar into.
English - Etymology 2
tow + -er