English - Alternative Forms
English - Etymology
From Middle English underliggen, from Old English underlicgan (“to underlie, to be subject to, give way to”), equivalent to under- + lie. Cognate with Dutch onderliggen (“to lie below, lie on the bottom of”), German unterliegen (“to lie under, be subject to, succumb”).
English - Pronunciation
- IPA(key): /ˌʌn.də(r)ˈlaɪ/
- Rhymes: -aɪ
English - Verb
- (intransitive) To lie in a position directly beneath.
- (transitive) To lie under or beneath.
- (transitive) To serve as a basis of; form the foundation of.
- (transitive) To be subject to; be liable to answer, as a charge or challenge.
- (mining) To underlay.